Saturday 14 September 2024

Ojo-san / お嬢さん (‘Young Miss’, 1961)

Obscure Japanese Film #131

Ayako Wakao

Hitomi Nozoe

Hiroshi Kawaguchi

Jiro Tamiya


 

During the shooting [of Afraid to Die], I first discovered (although it was a very late discovery) that "Ayako Wakao is no ordinary actress."… What I will never forget is her performance at the climax of the film, when, after being thoroughly beaten by me, a tough, weak yakuza, she still refuses to abort the baby she is carrying, showing her womanly determination… The instinct, naturalness and strength of her performance, which delivers and enriches all the emotions required by the role, and also blends the three stages of stylistic change in between realistically to build up to a perfect climax, is absolutely magnificent, and as I watched, I felt that I had fallen 100% in love with her in my role.

People just can't resist that strawberry-like frozen taste [she has]. Because of this, she has always been popular but, at the same time, I think it was a major detriment to her acting talent being recognised… An actor has to fight against their looks. The more the public loves their looks, the more they have to fight against this. Ayako Wakao fought against this, and won splendidly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment